HTSS: Day Two, Other Things to Which I Am Addicted

4:29pm "Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb."

1. Caffeine, usually as English Breakfast tea with milk but sometimes as a mocha latte. I have periods every so often when I insist on drinking only herbal, in order to control the headaches, but eventually I get sucked back in.

2. Chocolate, especially Vosges, but Ritter Sport will do as well. I get Vosges as special treats, around St. Valentine's Day and Mother's Day. At least, I used to. Long story, maybe for another day.

3. Having things tidy, particularly at the start of projects or when I'm feeling anxious about my work generally.

4. Tootsie Rolls (not really chocolate). I went through bags and bags and bags of these candies the last time I stopped smoking, back when I was pregnant. I stayed hooked for a good five or six years.

5. Checking my email, especially bad back when my university first started using webmail, now somewhat more under control thanks to my Blackberry.

6. Keeping up with my Friends on Facebook. Isn't it amazing how quickly time flies when you're reading everybody's status, following the links, looking at photos...?

7. Sugar. Bread. Cake. Cookies. Gummy candies. Give me one slice, piece, cookie, candy and I might as well have eaten the whole package. Which I have. Frequently. Almost inevitably around That Time of the Month. It's the insulin rush, I'm told.

8. Bibliographies, the more exhaustive the better. I even have my research assistant make bibliographies for me. They're like security blankets for my intellect, I can't think straight without them.

9. Sucking my thumb. Until I was 9. Then I stopped. Interestingly, I haven't felt the urge to start again, although I do give my thumb the occasional suck just to make sure. Typically accompanied by twirling my hair. Which I still do.

10. Yoga. It's not that I am actually very good at it, but I get terribly crabby when I haven't done my practice for several days. I'd quit if I could, it would really free up my mornings. But I can't without feeling like crap. There isn't any other way to describe it.

11. Mystery novels. Reading them, that is. Give me a series and I'll read non-stop until I'm finished, no matter how long it takes. Then I'll buy the next volume in harcover. And the next. Because, you know, I can't wait for the paperback to come out.

12. Talking to my husband. Daily. At length. About everything. I feel all out of sorts and sad otherwise. So I must be addicted--or in love.

13. Blogging. See Yoga.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chivalry Our Lord's-Style, ca. A.D. 33

Talking Points: Three Cheers for White Men

Make the Middle Ages Dark Again

Free Speech Fundamentals: Building a Platform

God's Fools